Sunday 18 September 2016

PIXIE & MIRANDA


On Saturday afternoon, my father and mother had to go visit my father’s boss, who was in the hospital. They said they didn’t want to take Miranda and me with them, and we said, “Fine, we’ll stay home! We didn’t want to go anyhow!”

As they were leaving, my mother said, “Remember, now, you’ll be here alone, and I don’t want you to let anyone in. That’s a rule you mustn’t break!”

They said they would be back in two or three hours. Daddy patted me on the head, and they were gone.

I did a little dance around the kitchen table, and Miranda said,
“What’s with you?”
“We’re free!” I yelled. “The house belongs to us!”

“You’re crazy,” said Miranda. “Nothing’s changed. You know perfectly well that there are family rules, and they stay the same whether Mom and Dad are here or not.”

“Free, free, free,” I sang. “Free, free, free! Everything’s possible!
Miranda wrinkled up her nose, like she always does, and said, “You’re disgusting!”

I said, “I’m going right to Momma’s closet and put on her good dress that comes down to the floor.”
“It’ll swallow you,” said Miranda. “But maybe that’s good!”

Just then there was a knock at the door. I didn’t take off the chain; I just called out, “Who’s there?” and I heard Isabel say, “It’s Isabel – and Connie.”

Miranda said, “Pixie, you heard what Momma said. We’re not supposed to let anyone in. Rules are rules!”

“But Momma didn’t mean we should keep out people we know!” I insisted.

Miranda said, “There are lots of kooks we know that Momma wouldn’t want us to let in.”

Just then Isabel called from the other side of the door, “Pixie, don’t worry about us. We just stopped by to say hello. See you tomorrow!”

I didn’t want a big argument with Miranda. So I went up to Momma’s closet, and sat down on the floor, among the shoes, and thought about my mystery creature and my mystery story. I grumbled to myself, “Can you imagine, this is the only place I can be free to be me!”

1 comment:

  1. where can i get the full vrsion of pixie and miranda story?

    ReplyDelete